Monday, December 3, 2007

I love my truck

Friday I was just a few blocks from work and was congratulating myself on being a good driver in the snow. All the big hills and bridges were behind me. I hadn't missed a stop or a corner. I had the easy part of the drive left.

I was on a straight, flat stretch, when I started feeling sassy. I don't really know what I hit, a bump in the road or a slick spot; away I went! I knew I had too light a back end, I hadn't loaded up for winter yet crossed my mind. I went a over t, and backwards, then slide side ways across the road.

I put in the clutch and let her slide until I hit grass then touched the wheel and the brake to send her off the road before we got to the telephone pole. I landed wrong way around in the corn field but I was feeling back under control, still right side up, and the truck and I were both ok.

I tried to rock her a little thinking I could drive back up the slope. Nope. I quit. I sat there and laughed out loud at myself and was glad I had landed so well.

Then I saw another truck hit the same spot and start sliding right at me. I stopped finding it amusing. At least I knew it was the road and not my driving. I held my breath until he got his big truck straightened out and didn't come down to join me. He made it.

I had the cell. I was ok, just stuck. No one was at the shop that could tow me out so I set up a ride. I tried rocking her again and got going a little but the corn was too slick for much traction and the ground was just wet, not really frozen.

Then it seemed I was getting up a little speed so I aimed up the bank. It was just too slick with no weight. There I sat.

A nice boy who had been out hunting turned around and broke out the tow strap. As we were getting ready to try it my friend from the shop showed up and stopped traffic for us. The hunter in his big truck eased me right up the hill. I thanked him and wished him hunting luck. We shook hands good bye and I went on to work. He went back the way he came.

Life is like that sometimes. Cruising along, feeling good and then the surprise - whack! You just get that thing under control and another one comes right at you. Someone sees your plight and cares enough to turn around and come back to give a hand. We get by taking care of each other.

I thought of all the friends I could have called if I was in a spot near them and I felt blessed again that I have them. The family is on that list, too. That a stranger took the time to help is just the way it worked out. That made me glad that there are still caring people in the world.

No comments: