Sunday, March 2, 2008

Pick one

Sometimes I think too much and this verse got my attention. I have several people I am trying to help that I am unsure what to do for them.

I started with King James and Strong's concordence. These are all different translations. Then, even in the commentary I use, there were two versions.

My heart says even one that has left God behind should be helped, that I don't leave God behind myself.

I try to help others when they are brought to me for I believe that is what He wants us to do. How the one I help believes is not mine to judge or change. That is up to Him. How I live my life is mine. I sleep better knowing I have tried to help where I can. Even if it seems what I did didn't help or comfort, still, I have to try.

Maybe you will see it differently.....

Job 6:14 (KJV) To him that is afflicted pity [should be shewed] from his friend; but he forsaketh the fear of the Almighty.

Job 6:14 ¶ "For the despairing man there should be kindness from his friend; So that he does not forsake the fear of the Almighty.

Job 6:14 "A despairing man should have the devotion of his friends, even though he forsakes the fear of the Almighty.

Job 6:14 "He who withholds kindness from a friend forsakes the fear of the Almighty. (RSV)

Job 6:14 ¶ He whose heart is shut against his friend has given up the fear of the Ruler of all. (BBE)

Job 6:14 ¶(darby) For him that is fainting kindness [is meet] from his friend; or he forsaketh the fear of the Almighty.

Job 6:14 (web) "To him who is ready to faint, kindness should be shown from his friend; even to him who forsakes the fear of the Almighty.

(Adam Clark) The Vulgate gives a better sense, "He who takes away mercy from his friend, hath cast off the fear of the Lord." To him who despiseth his friend, it is a reproach; and he will forsake the fear of the Almighty:

as Mr. Good translates, "Shame to the man who despiseth his friend! He indeed hath departed from the fear of the Almighty."

the passage may be read: To him who despiseth his friend, it is a reproach; and he will forsake the fear of the Almighty:

or, as Mr. Good translates, "Shame to the man who despiseth his friend! He indeed hath departed from the fear of the Almighty."

However you read it, it is right to help others. Still, I haven't picked one yet. I'm still thinking on it.

No comments: