Monday, February 4, 2008

Thankfulness for a friend

I am thankful today. My friend that had the bad day a few posts ago is back on track in his life. He had good news for the last several days. It might have been seen as bad news, but not in my misty view. I saw the good in it for him and I know God can show it to him, too.

He went to the hospital ER again last week. They discovered his doctor had him on the wrong medication - seriously enough wrong to flush his body for him, call and reprimand the doctor and continue doing tests. He will have two stents put in soon without having to suffer a heart attack. His medication change has let him feel like he has his mind back.

I know he felt like he was "out of his mind". He would protest, "It's just not like me!" when he described how he was getting through the days. I knew he meant it. I knew it was a real feeling and that it pointed to a real problem. I kept praying about it.

It's hard to define how I see people sometimes. It's like seeing two things at once. I see the part of them here and how they are living and I see what I think of as "who they really are and want to be". When we discussed the action he took last week that we both saw as wrong and negative coming to have positive results for all touched by it I told him I only knew One that can do that.

When he asked me who, I answered Jesus. He is the only one I know who only sees good and can show it to you so you see it that way, too, by changing what you may have done wrong into good in your life and the other lives it touched.

Jesus has spread His grace on this man's life and I am so glad to see it. He reached out for help and he has recieved it. I see he is on a good path now when he was over the edge. Finding out that it really was not all him, but the medication he should not have been on, has helped him see the reality of body and spirit.

He got to see a counselor sooner than he planned. His heart won't be damaged by trying to shut down, he will have the surgury instead. His breech with those he loves is being mended. He will have the help he needs to get back to the man he wants to be.

He made the choice to seek a church and found the one he chose had the perfect words for him. He took a young man and woman with him and they found guidance, too.

The pastor and the guest pastor that spoke both took time to talk with him before he left. He was touched by their concern and care and will be going back to them again. I was so glad he has found others that can do more for him than I can by myself. I was feeling over my head a little and I see he is in the right place for him.

I was humbled by his thanks to me last night. I told him I did nothing but point the way to where he could find help. Then I realized I had done correctly a task given to me for the One I can't repay. It may have been a small task but I can feel good in my heart I got it right for Him.

I answered him, "I'm just the ambassador, I can accept your thanks but I will give it to the One who earned it. Keep looking to Him. I am just the one he sent to give you a hand up."

God knows I like to help and He knows I like to bring smiles where I walk. He is teaching me how to do it better all the time. I had thanks, not just from my friend for Him, but real thankfulness in me. I had tried to step over the line of fear in my heart and He shows me it was the right step. I did not lead one wrong, I did not lose them for Him. I was so glad for that gift!

I passed my friend's thanks on, with true gladness in my heart and my faith deepened again. I have done nothing for this man that I have not done for the others in my life. I cared he had a problem, I helped him as I could, I offered nothing more than a friendly place to be and talk. I listened. I looked for answers for him where I know the source is true and gave them to him. I gave him my bible. I can't see anything I did as being special. I have done it all for others, too.

I know the value he has been to me. He keeps forgetting the man that made the poor decision last week is the same one that two weeks before on an aquaintance of only a week drove me to the hospital after sharing a pill with me to keep me here a little longer. He was kind enough to say, later, he was glad I was still here.

I have made a friend I will not only be glad to have but proud to know in the days to come. He will work for the same God that I do and I know he will do it well. That is the kind of man I see in him, caring, strong and kind. I know the needs in him will be filled as he sees them and ask for help with them and I ask it for him until then in my prayers.

There have been blessings of good all around me. I see them and I am thankful that I have been shown He not only lives but listens and cares still for those of us walking here.

I may be moving through a fog but I know who guides me sees more clearly than I ever will. May all of you meet Him. Jesus holds me close today and I am glad of the time with Him.

No comments: