Monday, April 28, 2008

Children

Matthew 18:
3 And said, Truly I say to you, unless you repent (change, turn about) and become like little children [trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving], you can never enter the kingdom of heaven [at all].

36 And He took a little child and put him in the center of their group; and taking him in [His] arms, He said to them,
37 Whoever in My name and for My sake accepts and receives and welcomes one such child also accepts and receives and welcomes Me; and whoever so receives Me receives not only Me but Him Who sent Me......
42 And whoever causes one of these little ones to stumble and sin, it would be better (more profitable and wholesome) for him if a [huge] millstone were hung about his neck, and he were thrown into the sea.

Search yourself and remember being a child that did not yet know how to interact in the world. See yourself smiling and reaching out to all you met. Remember the shock at hurts done to you.

Remember the first time your cry for help went unheard. Think about getting up and going on when no help came.

I am not exempt from causing heart hurts to even my own children. I have always been very aware of the damage I did. When I was not able to be there for them another adult cared for them in my stead. I'm so grateful for that care. It's not the same as having your parent there, it's still better than dealing with life alone.

If not for grace I would have never escaped the due punishment for those acts. If not for grace my children would not have survived the harm done to their ability to love and trust.

We have made it through. I was being so hard on myself for so many years over it that it scarred my own heart twice; once in the doing and again in the regret and shame I carried.

But I remembered I was a child, too, who's needs were not always met by those that might have. Not that they would NOT meet them but that I was where they COULD NOT meet them. It was my final step from childhood and my first step to being an adult.

I was hurt. No one came to help. I had to make it to where I could be helped. I made it. But I had to get there alone.

How my heart burns for the children hurting today. I owe so much for the grace I was given that I reach out to each child I see in pain or confusion. I can't heal their hurts, all I can do is try to let them know that someone cares they were hurt and send them on to where they can be helped.

I pray them into His arms. I pray the ones that could not or are not there for the child into His arms. And I offer my hand until they can grow past the time of being too young to understand.

I don't understand so many things in this world but harming or failing to love and care for those small ones is still the part I don't know how I could fail at or how anyone could and live with themselves.

But we do. Amen for Grace and may healing, love, and comfort come to each sad child today - even you.

We may feel that we are old, worn out, usless; we are only children. We are each only a loving child making it's way as best it can.

Be kind to each other today. Pray for the children in this sad world. Reach out to one yourself and find the love in you growing again.

No comments: