Monday, November 26, 2007

Birds or coffee?

My birds, one Sunday, were clammoring on the empty feeder. What was keeping me from going out to feed them? I was not dressed. I wasn't ready to be active in the day yet. But my birds, His birds, had a need and showed it to me.

If the birds were any human in need, I would have gotten right up, pj and all, and run quickly out to help. I kept my birds, His birds waiting on MY timing. That was the thought that came to me, "he cares for each sparrow". What do I care about?

Choice. What is important? What is more or less important? We judge it. Is one hungry bird less important than one human that hurts? The book says not. I said they were less important. Just wild birds seeking an easy meal.

Action. We act - for His desires or our own. Or we don't act, that is a choice, too. Mine was to sit and stare at the world. His was that I get up and feed the birds. I became convinced (convicted) I had to feed them that day.

I had what they needed, seed, and I had the power to open the container and take it out to them. I had to put it in a place they could reach it because the need was showed to me. I knew about it now. It was up to me to act or not. I had to choose.

It was still "just birds" outside but there was a lesson in it for me. I got dressed and went out to feed His birds.

I see the needs my friends have shown me and I have ached to help. I wanted to be there for them. Some of them I can help with my actions or words, for others I can only pray.

They are so much more to me than the birds Their needs I see clammor to me like the birds in their hunger. I see the need, I recognize them as needs, I try to fill them if I can.

The needs for comfort, understanding, acceptance, someone to say you will be ok is in all of us. In times of stress or pain or loneliness we are all glad to have a friend give us a hand or a word, a hug or a place to sit and stare.

When I see the needs and can't meet them, it hurts my heart. My friends are not "just birds" to me and now the birds are more to me, too. They belong to a friend of mine and He gave me enough so I can feed them. I was glad I got up and did it.

I love watching the birds feed. I love the songs and the flights. I see the squabbles and fights. I sat there and saw one small need filled by my action and I was smiling for knowing that I care for my friends. I like that about me and I like Him for giving me what I need to share with them.

When we show loving care to each other as He leads us to act for Him I think we are showing Christ's loving spirit to each other. "As ye have done unto the least of these, so you have done TO me." Through our loving care His lives.

He is alive in everything we touch, breathe, feel, see - in every bit of life, He is there. When we submit our will to his then we are joined together in him. He guides us but we have the choice to act or not. To act lovingly toward each other is letting His love shows through us.

At least, that is one way to see it.

No comments: