Thursday, January 10, 2008

All for me?

Today on my way to work the clouds had a brilliantly lit gap in them . The gray day was like the simple cloth laid behind a diamond to show it's perfection. The sun put a high gold edge of light on the open clouds that looked like the valley of the sun tucked between the cold mountain.

Yesterday there was a small gap in the morning gray that was pink and red and yellow. As I drove there came a beam of light through it. It swept from south to north like the guiding arm of a spotlight from an airport. It traveled like a search light and then flattened against the clouds and was gone again. Just a small bit of light still showed against the gray.

When I was in the south this year I walked out the door one night to see the gibbious moon balanced on the ridge to my right. The small hollow that it laid in shaped the light into a flow that ran down the ridge to the creek like a shining path in the dark.

I stood in darkness as a fold of the hill kept the light contained where I could see it but to stand in it I had to move. If I moved it would all change.

Then I realized I had to be in exactly that spot for the path of moonlight to appear before me. If I was shorter the moon would have appeared to be behind the ridge, not resting on it. If I was taller there would have been a gap. If I was not exactly as I was and where I was I would have seen and experienced something different.

That same moon that lit the road toward home for me that night and drew me to it, telling me I would be going home again was shining over my home that night. Uncounted other people that were out there in the dark were seeking answers to their heart's questions, trying to find their way, romancing, or just watching the moon out the window.

To each of them in their life on that night that moon would say just what the Creator wanted them to understand. For those that had eyes to see and sought the truth there would be an answer as direct as the one I saw for me.

Later I thought, "Don't shoot pool with God. He's got a devasting bank shot!" From one rock hung before a human touched the earth I saw he would know where I would stand and what place and built me just to see the beauty of the moon pouring it's light from the ridge.

Each one everywhere was fitting right where they should be in His plan and would find the truth of Him as he revealed it to them the way he showed He lives to me. He knew what size they were and how they saw the world and where they were standing as well as what they needed.

Then I said a prayer for all the ones I carry in my heart. As the moon went behind the ridge the light drew back from the creek. The road to home became filled with the last of the moon's light.

Why did it matter and why did I smile? Should I stay where I was or return to where I had been? That had been my prayer. For me, where I stood was in the dark but the way home, where the light was shining for me, called me to it. I would stop looking for work and go home.

I went back in and went to bed at peace in my heart that I knew some of the truth of what I had seen.

The other thought I have had about this you must each decide for yourselves. How much of the beauty I see each day did he put there just for me to enjoy? I think all of it.

I saw two eagles today perched together in a tree over the river. I slowed and tried to see if it was a pair or a parent and adolesent. Others drove right by it. They never saw the joy of bald eagles in the morning, resting together in the dead appearing tree against the grey sky over the cold river like I do. I saw the promise of crops starting well in the spring, enough game to support our wildlife, shade for summer and the wistful yearning to fly touched me again.

Perhaps they were there just for me to see and love seeing them. Anyone could share the gift of the view, but they would see it different. Those that saw just two big birds and a grim, cloudy day I can only pray He touches them. My view may be misty but I like the way I see it when I look through His love.

If my friend and I see a summer field of deer and flowers each of us will have our eyes drawn to just what please us. I may see the bluebells, mom would see the daisies, my friend would see the buck inspite of the fact he wore no antlers yet.

Perhaps the beauty is not just there for me to enjoy. It may be that it is there for me to love seeing the one way I see it and there for the way you see it, too, just your way. Still we can both feel He made it just what we love seeing for each of us.

How He makes one thing appear so different to each of us is amazing to me.

No comments: