Thursday, January 3, 2008

Today is all you have.

I think I just learned I am content.

If it was your last day on earth what would you do? Most of you will have thought about it.

What if it was your last day on earth and you just did your regular, planned, stuff?

I thought about declaring a new holiday for mid January - I'm not Dead Day - but another blogger was complaining there were too many holidays from Thanksgiving to Valentine's Day so I stopped short of lobbying for it.

Still - with what you have available and what is possible on your own - if you knew when you laid down tonight you would never get back up - what would you do?

My family and friends all know I love them and what I believe. I called a lot of them for the holiday. Animals are covered, bills and paperwork are current. Mom is good and Sis is there for her. I have traveled in the mountains, the plains and seen both oceans.

I have things planned this afternoon to help some friends and don't want to disappoint them. If I took off for a quick shot to Tennessee or some place they might not have what they need.

The boss was expecting me and the guys know if I am selling they are working. Mom forgot her mittens, I brought them in for her to pick up.

Later tonight I will have it all done, the money in the bank and the visits and errands done. I will go home. Back to the house I have been peaceful in for years I will do the chores and feed the animals. I can chose to write or read or sing and play guitar or just clean up and go to bed early.

If I was going to sleep tonight and knew I would not wake up here I would still know I had done what was right for me this day.

I go to bed knowing those I love know I love them, those I call friend knowing they are important to someone, that what I am responsible for I have done and enjoyed the doing.

I am content. I am fulfilled. It's a good life. It's not what I had but it is still mine to live and I am glad to do it.

I saw the eagle by the river today on the way in to work. I saw the deer in the fields as I went by, feeding in the snow. I saw the snow outlining the tree branches against the blue of the sky. I saw my Mom, I prayed for the rest. It's a good day - so far.

I have one friend I would like to make peace with. I have the bird feeders to fill. One I can still do today, the other I can not. I am content I tried to do what was right.

Each day I walk where I am lead the grace of God can bring me God's peace in life. I trust Him for that and do what is brought to me the best I can, content.

If I had just today to live I have been alive to it and I am glad to have had it. And if I wake up I have today again! No worries about tomorrow now. Today is where I live.

That blessing I am thankful for - knowing once again that life is good and I am content.

Phillipians 4: 4-9

No comments: